Stuffed French Toast with Strawberries
8 ounces cream cheese
1 loaf white bread (16 – 20 slices)
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1/4 cup maple sugar
1/2 cup melted butter (1/4 lb.)
1. The French toast must be prepared the night before and then baked just before serving
2. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Make a 3-slice “sandwich” by spreading cream cheese between the slices of bread. Cut each sandwich into square pieces (approx. 1 inch pieces). Place in a baking dish.
3. Mix the eggs, half-and-half, maple syrup, and melted butter until well blended. Pour evenly over the bread and p-ress down until the egg miture is soaked up.
4. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake 50 – 55 minutes at 350 degrees until lightly browned. Cut into squares.
5. Strawberry Sauce: 2 cups strawberry preserves and sliced fresh strawberries (optional).
6. Heat the preserves in a saucepan with a little water until syrupy. Add fresh strawberries. Serve over cut squares of French toast.